Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy Saint Pádraig's Day


Back when I was a wee lass, I was always in the choir. In fact, my entire 12 years of rearing in the Catholic school system consisted of song and mass. From the age of six until I was 17, I was always singing either in a group choir or singing solo. 

My freshman year of high school was delightful. We learned that a sister school in Ireland would be sending a boys choir to our school and to my further delight; we would be allowed to sing with them. 


At the time, I was fanatically into everything about Ireland and could not wait for the young lads to get here to the States. Time flew by and before I knew it, 40 bright eyed and completely foreign looking boys arrived at our school very late in the afternoon.

I was ready for them. I had a million questions about Ireland and most importantly, I wanted to hear them speak. I of course needed to hear their slang words so I would be cool at school (who thinks this stuff up?)  

Well, the boys, ages 14 to 16 were not even remotely interested in us Americans much less a silly girl, asking silly questions about their homeland. I found them rude. Typical for boys that age and proof positive that no matter what soil you are on, boys can be so immature. 



They promptly told me to SOD OFF. WELL! If they must curse at me, at least let it be Irish slang not British. I was not in the least bit offended. I actually laughed and thought it was quite funny. They too laughed and the ice was finally broken. 

I don’t remember half of the things they told me that day. It was all a blur and I was too excited and happy to meet someone outside of city of Philadelphia. The lads were wonderful and OH, how they sang like angels from heaven. 

Of course, my story has nothing to do with the Palestrina boys Choir from Dublin, Ireland. I have never met these lads but they do sing like angels. While most people will be blogging about the history of Ireland or Saint Patrick's Day, I wanted to add a touch of the whimsy. 

I would like to go to Ireland one day and if I do, wouldn't it be funny if I met up with one of the lads in that choir. I doubt if they remember that day back in 1983 or a starry-eyed girl in love with Ireland and its people but one can only hope. 

I hope you enjoy and Happy Saint Pádraig's Day! 

Sláinte Mhaith!

No comments:

Post a Comment