Tuesday, January 9, 2007

tell you what: when we do get the band back together, we're changing the name to something that starts with a tilde

Am I the only person who ends up listening to a disproportionate number of 10,000 Maniacs songs because they are on the top of my iTunes list and occasionally for whatever reason it starts playing from there? Sure, I'll always love "What's the Matter Here?," but they're probably my best example of a band that seemed all "socially conscious" back when I was in my 20s and seem now more "'socially consciousness'" whenever I listen to the same songs more than a decade later. (As in, authentic vs. authenschtick.)

Just now, I was just listening to their song "Headstrong" and was reminded of its lyric, "If we were living in a house afire / I don't believe that you could rush out and escape / and not rescue me." I remember hearing it way back when and thinking, for neither the first nor last time, "Wow, some feminists have really low standards for what they expect from men." Really, he loves me! I can't tell you how wonderful it is to sleep next to a guy and think, "This one, he wouldn't just let me burn to death!"

No comments:

Post a Comment