Wednesday, January 31, 2007

to serve and take notice

Around Boston, business folk are very fond of backing up statements that you shouldn't do something with the threat that police will take notice. Three examples:

police take notice: fence
(private parking near Inman Square--which, incidentally, is the home of Magnolia, my new favorite Cambridge restaurant)

police take(s) notice: laundromat
(laundromat near where I live)

police take notice: wall
(no parking sign spray painted on wall in theatre district, Boston; includes me with horrible red-eye)

Is it just me, or is the idea that police will take notice not exactly the scariest threat in the world? Even, maybe, does it not seem like much of a threat at all? Every time I see one of these signs I think, "And then what?"

I've never seen one of these signs in the Midwest. (Or if I have, I haven't taken notice.) Is this a Boston area thing? An East Coast thing? A cities larger than Madison thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment