Sunday, April 1, 2007

dispatch from los angeles

So, my flight from LA was scheduled for 7:30 this morning. I arranged for the cab to pick me up at six, and had things packed so that I could set my alarm for 5:30am and still be ready to go in time. Of course, it took me being awake packing and whatever until 2:30am so that I could have the luxury of sleeping in until 5:30am.

Instead, at 4:30am, my phone rang. I presumed somebody I loved was dead. This didn't mean I was able to rouse myself fast enough to actually answer the phone, but I did immediately check my voicemail. The message was an automated voice from Orbitz, which I had used to buy my ticket. I heard the words "flight status" and was less annoyed, as I could understand the utility of getting a notification of a flight delay even if it did come at 4:30am. However: Orbitz was calling to tell me my flight was on time.

I presume I checked some option or something about giving my updates by my cel phone, although I don't remember this and certainly didn't know the result would be my getting phone calls at 4:30am.

P.S. I'm too tired to write a separate post about this, but: For followers of my diet, we are through week five. My weigh-in was down three pounds, meaning I'm down 12 pounds overall. I will not, however, be tracking during this week's (Sunday through Thursday) travels, but I will endeavor to remain faithful to the basic plan. I'm not sure how I will count this in terms of my general ten-week committment; it will probably depend on how well I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment