Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Manuel Gonzalez Serrano

Autorretrato 1943

Landscape with Fruit

Sailboats and Fish

Offering (Bodegon)


Apprentice Bullfighters

Watermelon and Shell

Equilibrium 1944


I remember about 10 years ago I visited a friend in Mexico City, an art historian and collector, to see an acquisition he had made.  It was a massive and menacing Dr. Atl landscape that once hung in the DF establishment, Prendes, a restaurant where politicians, journalists, finance people, and "farandula" types went to be seen in the Centro.  
When I entered the apartment of Mr. Perez-Escamilla, I was stopped by maybe 30 or so small oil still lifes on cardboard hanging in his entry hall.  I was astonished.  I was immediately reminded of Di Chirico.  They were small but impacting,  strange little worlds, that at first were familiar, but on closer inspection, were loaded with fantasy and whimsy.  I have been a fan of this work ever since.


No comments:

Post a Comment